Motorcycle Awareness Month | Law Offices of Brian J. Mongelluzzo
May 2018 Is Motorcycle Awareness Month in Connecticut
With more and more motorcyclists hitting the road to enjoy the warmer temperatures and summery weather, May is the perfect time to collectively pause and consider how we can protect motorcyclists on the road and preserve their well-being.
Motorcycle Awareness Is About 4-Wheeled Motorists, Too
The first step to making the roads safer to motorcyclists is to remember that motorcycle safety is up to all of us. Even cautious riders who are aware of their surroundings and being careful to abide by traffic laws are often hurt by other motorists who are speeding, distracted, or driving recklessly. While motorcyclists do have a responsibility to drive safely, motorcycle awareness month is more about educating 4-wheeled motorists than anything else.
Here are a few things other motorists can do to help keep the roadways safe for everyone:
- When following a motorcycle, always maintain a safe distance of several car lengths.
- Always keep your headlights on at night so you can see and be seen by motorcyclists.
- Don’t push your luck when it comes to braking, changing lanes, or passing. Do so slowly, deliberately, and always with an eye on any nearby motorcycles.
- Check your blind spots and all your mirrors before switching lanes or turning.
- Always look for oncoming motorcycles when making left turns at intersections.
- Don’t text, talk, eat, groom, read, or otherwise distract yourself while driving.
If you are a motorcyclist, you know just how important it is for other drivers to be aware, engaged, and conscious of those around them on the road. When other drivers are not so aware, it can have devastating consequences for those on 2 wheels. Even if you are riding as safely as possible, you could still fall victim to another’s reckless driving and suffer serious injury as a result.
Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Serving Injured Riders in Connecticut
If it happens to you, you deserve to have a strong legal advocate on your side, and our team at the Law Offices of Brian J. Mongelluzzo, LLC looks forward to stepping in on your behalf. Our motorcycle accident injury attorneys have handled many cases like yours and are prepared to help you get the compensation you need to cover the costs of your injuries, lost wages, hospital bills, and other damages.
Call (203) 663-3695 today or contact us to schedule your consultation with a member of our team.
Ready to Speak With an Attorney?
Reach Out to Our Firm for a Free Case Evaluation!